Ballasting tyres for better use
Ballasting tyres with a liquid
In certain cases, to increase the adherence weight or lower the agricultural machine’s centre of gravity, with Tubeless tyres and ones with a standard Inner Tube, adding weight to tyres with a liquid is one solution.
Agricultural tyre valves are of the “air and water type”. Therefore, filling up to a maximum of 75 % (diagram 1), with liquid (water + antifreeze) is possible (volume indicated on the product data sheet size page).
In winter, as temperatures may fall below zero, a Glycol-based antifreeze product should be used.
With the air water valve at the top, fill the inner tube or Tubeless tyre up to the height of the valve, while allowing the air to escape (Diagram 2).
Inflation and pressure are adjusted to the air.
Since the volume of air responsible for pressure is low (around 25% of the volume), regular monitoring of the tyre pressure is essential. We recommend verification on a monthly basis.
Ballasting tubeless tyres with liquid
- Fit and position the farm tyre, see the link to “Inflation and positioning of beads”
- Deflate the tyre to a low level of pressure (around 7psi 0.5 bars)
- Position the air water valve at the top
- Ballast the tyre with liquid (water + antifreeze) up to a maximum of 75%, allowing the air to
- Finish inflation with air and adjust the tractor tyre pressure